Pasta was something Ged and I avoided when we were on a strict diet. Now we love it! I made this last night and it was beautifully delicious and satisfying.
Serves 4. Preparation time 20 minutes Cooking time 20 minutes
400g spaghetti or penne pasta.
1 packed of pre-formed beef meatballs. (sold in Coles or Woolworths)
1 onion, finely chopped
6 Roma tomatoes, halved and quartered.
2 garlic cloves, minced
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. sweet paprika
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
2-3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Handful of basil leaves
1/2 cup. freshly grated Parmesan for serving
Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large pan over medium heat, heat 1 tbsp. olive oil. Add meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer meatballs to a plate.
2. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain. Stir through a dash of olive oil to prevent pasta from sticking together.
3. Add onion and garlic and 1 tbsp olive oil to pan and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes, paprika, and bay leaf. Season with salt and bring to a slow simmer.
4. Simmer until sauce has thickened and tomatoes are soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add pasta water if required to make more sauce.
5. Return meatballs to pot and cover. Simmer until sauce has thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Stir in fresh basil leaves.
7. Serve pasta with a scoop of meatballs (4-6 per serve) and sauce. Top with Parmesan.