Updated: Feb 13
WHAT ARE CARBS?
A carbohydrate (carb) is a macro-nutrient made of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. Carbohydrates are an important nutrient and the main source of fuel for your body. Certain parts of your body require carbohydrates to function, like red blood cells and other parts of your body use carbohydrates for energy, like your brain and your muscles.
WHERE DO CARBS GO?
Carbohydrates are digested and broken down into three simple sugars: glucose, galactose, and fructose. When you eat carbohydrates, they are then absorbed by the small intestine and are transported to the liver. The liver stores the glucose and it will use the simple sugars galactose and fructose for energy, or it will convert them into glucose.
The liver then releases the glucose into the blood where it will be transported to the cells in your brain, muscle, fat tissue, red blood cells, or pancreas. The glucose moves into the cells where it will be broken down for energy or stored.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF CARBS?
There are multiple benefits of carbs, here are the main ones;
• Provide you with energy to get through your busy day
• Prevent muscle breakdown when you are active at the gym
• Regulate blood glucose levels, improving your mood and energy levels
• Provide fibre to aid in preventing constipation
• Provide fibre to get your digestion going
• Provide pre-biotic fibre to nourish gut bacteria and microbes.
• Provide B vitamins for your immune system, nerve function and energy production.
• Bind cholesterol in the GI tract, helping with cholesterol control.
• Help you feel full and truly satisfied after a meal.
• Forms the backbone for DNA and RNA
WHAT IF YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH CARBS?
If you don't eat carbs, or don’t have enough carbs in your daily nutrition, you're more likely to have headaches, fatigue, dizziness, muscle weakness, difficulty concentrating, poor emotion regulation, nausea, constipation, bad breath, difficulty sleeping, vitamin and mineral deficiencies, and be at increased risk for chronic disease.
If you are cutting our carbs, you are missing out on many benefits that keep us healthy. And besides all the health benefits, carbs are just yummy; So if you don’t eat them your missing out on a whole heap of beautiful satisfaction from the food you eat. So the next time you go shopping, try grabbing a spud for dinner.
Disclaimer: Please note that the information in this or any other blog posts on this site may not be suitable or apply to you, depending on where you’re at in your mental health and/or eating disorder/diet recovery journey. This information is for educational purposes only and not meant to be a substitute for medical or psychiatric advice. Please consult your healthcare practitioner before making any changes